As the schools are busy preparing for the return of students to campus next week, we thought it would be fun to post a student-related photo. This one, taken in May 1959, shows girls from Kingswood School about to board the bus. Today, buses are used to transport students between the campuses, but in 1959, the boys (Cranbrook) and girls (Kingswood) schools were not co-ed. So, what were the buses used for? Turns out that Kingswood owned two buses that made transportation “possible for day students not only from the north end of Detroit, but also from Birmingham, Pontiac, and Bloomfield Hills.” Who knew?
~Leslie S. Edwards, Head Archivist