Founded in 1928, Studio Loja Saarinen served as a commercial weaving studio at Cranbrook, producing rugs, curtains, table textiles, and tapestries for both the growing Cranbrook campus and outside clients. Though it bore her name, Loja Saarinen was not the sole weaver at Studio Loja Saarinen—instead, the studio employed a staff of primarily Swedish women who immigrated to the United States during the 1920s and 30s. At its largest size, the studio had 30 looms in use to keep up with production demands. Here four of Studio Loja Saarinen’s Swedish weavers are posed at one of the large looms housed in the lower level of the studio. From left, they are: Elizabeth Edmark, Marie Bexell, Peggy Broberg, and Gerda Nyberg. Displayed before them is one of the giant rugs produced by the weavers. Still in use, this rug is on view in Saarinen House today.
– Shoshana Resnikoff, Collections Fellow